Secure the future of a child
You truly can make a difference to a child’s life and secure a future for them at Molima Family Home through monthly sponsorship. Any monthly amount is important to us.
It costs £45 per month to provide care for an individual child at the Molima Family Home and about £120 per month to support a young person in further education (fees and accommodation). Food costs have increased significantly and inflation has averaged at 10% over the last 3 years. Although inflation has dropped to 9% during 2020, food shortages always incur high costs.
At the end of 2020, there are 11 young people aged 16+. Their futures beyond Molima present an imminent need and challenge as we don’t give up on young people when they are old enough to leave Molima. We support the home to help the family find training, apprenticeships and accommodation for them. It is the only way they can be sure of a secure future in Malawi.
Your sponsored child receives:
- Care and accommodation
- All meals
- Access to clean water
- Access to education
- Support in further education
We produce an annual newsletter for sponsors and donors which we can send electronically or by post. The IT and telephone communication network in Malawi is variable, therefore it can be a huge challenge! However in 2021, we will be updating our Facebook page so that we can give regular updates.
In 2019, a trustee and two sponsors visited Molima (mainly at their own expense). They were able to spend time with the children who were very excited about the visit and could see that the children are well and happy. In discussion with Wezi and George, they were able to confirm that money sent to them is spent wisely and to see the huge improvements that have been made at the home.
Allocation of funds over the last two years
98.4% of our income goes to Molima
- Monthly running costs – care, food, medication, clothing – increased during inflation
- Extra maize when food is scarce
- Building costs to complete a secure exterior wall to Molima
- Replacement batteries for solar panels funded 3 years ago, to provide light and heating
- School uniforms and school fees
- School shoes and gifts for visit in 2019
- Special meal and gift for the children and staff at Christmas
- Seeds and fertilizer to help Molima become more sustainable, particularly when food shortages
- Additional labour to help with the harvest
- Annual car service and insurance
- Cost of emptying septic tank
- Chickens, feed and equipment
- A cow for breeding, milk and manure for fertiliser
There is so much more we could do with your help. For example:
- Continue to improve the living accommodation and dining/study facilities for the children and young people
- See more young people leave Molima with training and work opportunities which will secure their futures
- Help us to keep pace with 9% annual inflation in Malawi so we have enough money to send each month for the care and education of the children
- Replace shoes more regularly, as one pair each wears out very quickly – school, play and walking
- Help Molima to become more sustainable with food by providing more seeds and fertilizer and paying for cows to give milk and fertiliser
- Provide more desks for Dedza Primary School